VEGETARIAN/GLUTEN FREE/COCONUT OIL/PALEO/DAIRY FREE/SUGAR FREEMushrooms are my favorite! Well, one of many. I’m usually too lazy to do much more than simply sauté my mushrooms in coconut oil or add it to a scrambled omelet, but this recipe looked so intriguing I had to try it out.
I’ve been getting in wines of late especially since a friend of mine started her own wine tasting business. The only problem I’ve found with wine is what to do with the ones I don’t like but have already opened. Thankfully wine makes an awesome ingredient in lots of recipe.
- 24oz white mushrooms (you can use any other type of mushrooms)
- ½ cup red wine (I’ve used a slightly sweet red and a very dry red. I assume the dryer is preferred for a recipe like this, but I enjoyed the sweeter one as well. The first time I tried this recipe I used Table Red from Wine Shop at Home)
- 2 tbs coconut oil (I order coconut oil in bulk from www.bulkapothecary.com. It’s cheaper than any store outside of the Caribbean. Stores in North America charge a ridiculous amount for such a simple/healthy product.)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (Add more or less depending on your preference for garlic.)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish (fresh is listed in the original recipe, but I have a plethora of dried herbs, so I used dried parsley instead)
- In a large sauce pan saute garlic in oil over medium heat until lightly brown.
- Add wine to pan and bring to simmer.
- Add mushrooms to pan and coat in wine sauce. Cover and let simmer on low/medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and lemon and mix well. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Original Recipe Link - http://dragitthroughthegarden.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/red-wine-and-garlic-mushrooms/